Opera Stage Director
Andrew Sinclair is an internationally-recognised opera stage director with more than 30 years’ experience in major opera houses in Europe, North America and Australia – including ROH Covent Garden, New York City Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, San Francisco Opera, Seattle Opera, Washington National Opera, Opera de Montreal and Opera Australia.
Andrew’s long association with ROH Covent Garden includes revivals of major productions, as well as assisting acclaimed directors including Franco Zeffirelli, John Copley, Goetz Freidrich, Harry Kupfer and Elijah Moshinsky.
Resident Staff Director
ROH Covent Garden
Major revivals include:
- Tosca (2003, 2004, 2009, 2013, 2014)
- Der Rosenkavalier (2004, 2009)
- Katya Kabanova (2007)
- Ariadne auf Naxos (2008)
- La Traviata (2015, 2016)
- Werther (2011, 2016)
- Turandot (2013, 2017)
ROH productions abroad:
- Lohengrin – Buenos Aires (1991), San Diego (2000), Chicago (2011)
- Peter Grimes – Savonlinna (1998)
- I Masnadieri – Bologna (2003)
- La Boheme – Opera Australia (1981), Singapore Lyric Opera (2010)
- Le Nozze di Figaro – Seattle Opera (1989)
- Aida – San Diego Opera (2001, 2013)
- The Pearl Fishers – San Diego Opera (2004), plus revivals at:
Opera Theatre of Michigan, San Francisco Opera, New York City Opera, Florida Grand Opera, Washington National Opera, Seattle Opera, Pittsburgh Opera, Opera de Montreal,
Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Madame Butterfly – Opera Queensland (and most major Australian companies, 1997), Singapore Lyric Opera (2013)
- Salome – Lyric Opera of Singapore (2011), Pittsburgh Opera (2016)
- L’Incoronazione di Poppea and Le Nozze di Figaro – Hong Kong Academy for the Performing Arts (2011, 2014)
- L’Elisir d’Amore – Indiana University (2007)
- Royal College of Music
- Royal Academy of Music
- National Opera Studio, Longon
- The Melba Opera Trust, Melbourne
- Jette Parker Young Artists Programme, ROH
- Melbourne University
- Hong Kong Academy for the Performing Arts
Andrew is also regularly called upon by young artists and established singers for character work on roles to be performed or auditioned.
The Pearl Fishers – Lyric Opera of Chicago 2017. © Todd Rosenberg Photography.
Sets and Costumes: Zandra Rhodes
Choreography: John Malashock
Lighting: Ron Vodicka
– Bob Bows, Colorado Drama
– Chang Tou Liang, The Straits Times
– Anirudh Krishnan, Kentridge Common
– Rupert Christiansen, Daily Telegraph
– Tim Ashley, The Guardian
– Erica Miner, Opera Pulse
READING THE SCORE
Reading the Score is Andrew’s professional training for singers, encouraging them to get inside the role to discover what lies behind it in terms of drama.
Whether it be interpretation of an aria, preparing for an audition, or developing a complete role, these sessions are designed to explore the operatic character working with text and music.
Most directors are less interested in a singer who presents themselves as a blank canvas.
It is far more interesting for a director to have a singer who offers something in terms of character (whether the director agrees or not) both musically and dramatically.” - Andrew Sinclair
You can contact Andrew here and enquire about his Reading the Score program.
For booking enquiries please see the Management page.
All photography of Andrew Sinclair by Frances Marshall at Marshall Light Studio, except where otherwise stated.